In this course, students will implement, monitor, and troubleshoot infrastructure, application, information, and operational security. Students will prepare for the CompTIA Security+ certification examination (SY0-401).
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the fundamental concepts of computer security.
- Identify security threats and vulnerabilities.
- Manage data, application, and host security.
- Implement network security.
- Identify and implement access control and account management security measures.
- Manage certificates.
- Identify and implement compliance and operational security measures.
- Manage risk.
- Troubleshoot and manage security incidents.
- Plan for business continuity and disaster recovery.
LESSON 1 – SECURITY FUNDAMENTALS
- The Information Security Cycle
- Information Security Controls
- Authentication Methods
- Cryptography Fundamentals
- Security Policy Fundamentals
LESSON 2 – IDENTIFYING SECURITY THREATS AND VULNERABILITIES
- Social Engineering
- Software-Based Threats
- Network-Based Threats
- Wireless Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Physical Threats and Vulnerabilities
LESSON 3 – MANAGING DATA, APPLICATION, AND HOST SECURITY
- Manage Data Security
- Manage Application Security
- Manage Device and Host Security
- Manage Mobile Security
LESSON 4 – IMPLEMENTING NETWORK SECURITY
- Configure Security Parameters on Network Devices and Technologies
- Network Design Elements and Components
- Implement Networking Protocols and Services
- Apply Secure Network Administration Principles
- Secure Wireless Traffic
LESSON 5 – IMPLEMENTING ACCESS CONTROL, AUTHENTICATION, AND ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT
- Access Control and Authentication Services
- Implement Account Management Security Controls
LESSON 6 – MANAGING CERTIFICATES
- Install a CA Hierarchy
- Enroll Certificates
- Secure Network Traffic by Using Certificates
- Renew Certificates
- Back Up and Restore Certificates and Private Keys
- Revoke Certificates
LESSON 7 – IMPLEMENTING COMPLIANCE AND OPERATIONAL SECURITY
- Physical Security
- Legal Compliance
- Security Awareness and Training
- Integrate Systems and Data with Third Parties
LESSON 8 – RISK MANAGEMENT
- Risk Analysis
- Implement Vulnerability Assessment Tools and Techniques
- Scan for Vulnerabilities
- Mitigation and Deterrent Techniques
LESSON 9 – TROUBLESHOOTING AND MANAGING SECURITY INCIDENTS
- Respond to Security Incidents
- Recover from a Security Incident
LESSON 10 – BUSINESS CONTINUITY AND DISASTER RECOVERY PLANNING
- Business Continuity
- Plan for Disaster Recovery
- Execute DRPs and Procedures
This course is targeted toward the information technology (IT) professional who has networking and administrative skills in Windows®-based Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) networks; familiarity with other operating systems, such as Mac OS X®, Unix, or Linux; and who wants to further a career in IT by acquiring foundational knowledge of security topics; prepare for the CompTIA Security+ certification examination; or use Security+ as the foundation for advanced security certifications or career roles.